With weather forecasts predicting race temperatures to reach the low-80′s, Cellcom Green Bay Marathon organizers are taking extra precautions and urging the athletes to do the same. Enhancements to address the heat include:
- MORE WATER! There will be more fluids and more opportunities for fluids on the courses. There will be 2 fluid stations on the 5K course, 10 on the half marathon course and 22 on the full marathon course, more than have ever been offered. We have significantly increased the scheduled water delivery quantities for these stations as well. Every station will offer Gatorade and water.
- ICE, ICE BABY! For the first time, marathon organizers will have ice delivered to each of the fluid stations. The water and Gatorade itself will NOT be iced down since the cups are often poured as much as an hour prior to the runners arrival. Instead, water station personnel will offer cups of ice to the participants immediately past the fluids being offered.
- GET HOSED! Marathon organizers are asking residents and businesses along the course routes to put out sprinklers and hoses to spray the runners and cool them off as they pass by.
- INCREASED MEDICAL PRESENCE. The number of medical stations on the course has been increased to 11, nearly every other mile.
- ICE BATH, ANYONE? The finish line medical tent will offer “cold water immersion tanks” for severely overheated runners.
- FINISH LINE FLUIDS. There will be over 30,000 Festival Foods water bottles at the finish area for participants and spectators. Runners are encouraged to drink water BEFORE partaking in the beer or root beer that is also served at the finish line courtesy of Titletown Brewing Company.
Organizers are asking participants to take extra precautions as well. They are urged to:
- Wear lighter colored and moisture-wicking clothing
- Arrive well-hydrated at the starting line
- Place their personal safety over their pace. “It’s probably not a day to set a PR (‘Personal Record’), folks,” says Race Director Sean Ryan.
- Take every opportunity to take in more fluids on the courses.
Finally, marathon organizers are also offering to let marathon registrants choose to run the half marathon instead and still receive an official finish time. In previous years, marathon runners who switched to the half marathon on race day were disqualified. Due to the extraordinary circumstances, organizers are making an exception this year. Marathoners who choose to run the half marathon will still be given a full marathon t-shirt and medal but they can now make a “game day decision” to run the half marathon instead without being disqualified.
Personal safety takes the joint effort of both organizers and participants. We’ll see you this weekend!